You are here

Payment Information

In-Person Payments

The U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut accepts the following forms of payment for fees: cash, credit cards, debit cards with a Visa or Master Card logo, money orders, bank checks, cashier's checks, personal checks (name and telephone number must be clearly written on the face of the check, and law firm checks (including out of state law firms).  Checks must be made payable to: Clerk, U.S. District Court.  The Clerk's Office does not accept third-party checks.  To make a payment using a credit or debit card there is a required minimum payment of $5.00. 

Any person presenting a credit or debit card must be an authorized signer on that card.  The card may be in the name of an individual or a corporation.  Corporations are responsible for maintaining a listing of authorized signers.  All card owners are responsible for security over issuance and use of their cards.  Unsigned cards require the user to provide proper identification.

Criminal Debt (restitution, forfeiture payments, & special assessments) and Criminal/Civil Bonds are not payable by credit or debit cards at this time. 

The Clerk's Office cannot make change for any service. Payment of Filing Fees

Through the electronic filing fee tool in CM/ECF, credit card payments can also be made for the following filing fees only: Civil Case Filing/New Complaints, Motion for Admission Pro Hac Vice, Notices of Appeal, Notice of Removal, Petition to Quash IRS Summons, Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus, as well as Motion to Quash Foreign Subpoena and/or for a Protective Order, Motion to Compel, and Application for Letter Rogatory/Discovery Pursuant to 28 USC 1782. Please visit Case Information for more information regarding electronic case filing.  Our Standing Order for the Refund of Electronic Filing Fees is located under the Rules & Orders section Payment of Criminal Debt

The U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut accepts payment for criminal debt (i.e., special assessment, fine, criminal restitution) on-line.  Payments can be made through, using a checking or savings account (ACH) or credit, debit, and prepaid cards.

Before making payments on-line, debtors should self-enroll on the payment website. Instructions on how to self-enroll and make payments on-line are found below.

Questions regarding on-line payments can be directed to the Finance Department by calling (203) 773-2426 Payment of Criminal Debt Procedure

Self Enrollment with Instructions

On-line Criminal Debt Payments Through Instructions Links

Self Enrollment Form

Criminal Debt Payment Form