Becoming a Member of Our Bar
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the bar of the District of Connecticut. You will need to apply for admission electrornically, using the PACER system at https://www.pacer.gov/. Please submit the following documents as part of your application:
- a current (within the past six months of the application) certificate of good standing from each state bar to which you have been admitted to practice;
- two certificates from Sponsoring Attorneys completed by members of the bar of this court who know your professional legal abilities, skills, and character for at least six months. Please be sure to use the form provided below (handwritten forms will not be accepted);
- Certificate from Sponsoring Attorney
If your sponsor certificates are not typed or are deficient, it will delay the approval of your application. An email regarding any deficiencies with your application will be sent for further information. After your application has been approved, you will receive a calendar for the attorney admission hearing at the courthouse closest to your location. You must appear in person at the appointed time and place. Please read the calendar closely for the date, seat of court, and courtroom for the admission hearing. It is not necessary to bring an attorney or your sponsors with you to move the court for your admission. Your Connecticut federal bar number will be emailed to you after your admission ceremony.
Attorney admission hearings are held each month (except August) as follows:
|New Haven||First Monday|
Attorney Admissions Clerk: Frances Velez
Please consult our website for valuable information about the Court.
Detailed step-by-step instructions are provided here: (Attorney Admissions Instructions)
Robin D. Tabora, Clerk
Revised December 09, 2017
Pro Hac Vice Admission
Admission of visiting attorneys (pro hac vice) is governed by Local Rule 83.1.
The fee is $75.00.
In civil and criminal cases, the sponsoring attorney may e-file the motion and pay the fee online using pay.gov.
After the motion is granted, the visiting attorney will receive an email with instructions on how to request e-filing privileges in this district.
Certificate of Good Standing
To obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from our court, your request must be submitted in writting and sent to any one of our three seats of court with a check for the required fee made payable to "Clerk, U.S. District Court". See fee and payment information HERE.
Federal Government Attorneys, Attorneys Appointed By The USCA, And Attorneys In MDL Cases:
Attorneys above who would like to be admitted to our district should go to the PACER website and apply for e-filing privileges in the District of Connecticut. To do this, go to https://www.pacer.gov/ and:
- Log in with your upgraded PACER account
- Select “Manage My Account”
- Click on the Maintenance tab
- Click on Attorney Admissions/Efile Registration (choose Federal Government Atty, Multi-District Litigation, or E-Filing Registration only for USCA appearances) and complete all screens
Your request is then transmitted to the District of Connecticut for approval and activation. You will receive an email from the District of Connecticut with your bar number assignment.
When a case is transferred here from another district, counsel is not automatically added to our case. Counsel not admitted in our district will be notified to comply with Local Rule 83.1 for admission to proceed.